Sunday, September 14, 2008

Book Review: Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men By: Michael Kimmel


Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men By: Michael Kimmel

Brilliant, and quite possibly the scariest thing I have ever read. That is saying a lot; I read books my friends describe as graphic, and scary about rape, sex trafficking, and general violence against women. I read books and magazines on the stratification of the classes and how this generation will be worse off than any previous one.

I read sections out loud to my roommate when she declared, “I don’t want anything to do with men.” This book talks about the “Guy Code” which is the code my generation of males is supposedly living by, and it isn’t good. The “bros before hos” and code of silence encourages abuse of peers, misogyny, and a lack of responsibility that hasn’t been seen before.

Kimmel discusses the long-term effects of this culture on “guys” when they become men, and the effects on women. I personally enjoyed where Kimmel described feminism as including the belief: “that guys can become men.” Kimmel discusses all the drawbacks of my generation including “hook up culture” and the excessive drinking which has become the norm. He notes the double standards between men and women in these areas along with several others. And he touches, briefly, on the subject of women who try to be like men or in with the boys club. This is one of my favorite feminist topics of the time.

I absolutely loved this book, and think it is a must read for anyone: raising boys, befriending them, dating them, or interacting with them at anytime.

No comments: