Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I don't ususally like to rant, but...

As an adult with my own political and religious views I realize that other people have their very own thoughts and feelings on issues important to me. However, there is a place where these things should not be shoved down my throat. I am a liberal, a feminist, and a former Catholic gone Agnostic, but do you know who does not know (nor do they need to know) these things; my coworkers.

Lately, a coworker of mine has decided it is appropriate to blast Rush Limbaugh from her work space. Her work space just happens to be a file room that I have to enter numerous times during the work day/week. Just now, I walked in there and heard an interview with some ex-soldier who was a POW in the first Iraq War and he’s talking about how he was beaten and tortured etc, etc. Talk about inappropriate. Now, I’m not saying that what happened to him isn’t horrible, because it absolutely is. I believe there is nothing worse you can do to someone than strip them of their dignity and beat them senseless, but this really makes me want to leave pictures of Abu Ghraib on her desk.

I don’t mind that our beliefs do not agree (I do mind that I hear her say things like “too many liberals in the media” and so on) I really don’t. The best part of being an American (at least that idealized America that we all wish existed) is that you’re allowed free thought, speech, etc. However, the real travesty here is that my boss doesn’t seem to care that she is sitting in the file room all day listening to rants on abortion, torture, etc, and she makes no attempt to get her to listen to something (ANYTHING) else.

/end rant.

On a lighter note, I watched premiere of The Fringe last night and it was really great. My fiancé and I got a kick out of the Altered States reference and we really wanted the protagonist to come out as a monkey, but no luck. I’m interested to see where they take this show because it could quite possibly become a favorite of mine.

Also, and I realize I’m late to the game on this one, we finished watching Dead Like Me last night as well. This was a really solid series and I’m sad it got cancelled.

3 comments:

Radical Reminders said...

Being forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh at work would drive me absolutely batty. My dad listens to that garbage and it's enough that he quotes his favorite right wing radio hosts to me regularly, and repeats their racist/sexist/etc jokes, and thinks it's hilarious... ugh.

can you say something to your coworker? like what she listens to is offensive? or do you not want to get into all that at work? either way, i don't blame you... i guess pick and chose battles, right?

Kari said...

I agree; you should probably suggest a change in a non-threatening way. I don't know if it would be better, but suggesting music might work: soft rock or something...less of a chance anyone is offended.

Cari said...

Oh my goodness, feministgal, you made my day. I had no idea someone else read this blog. :)

My problem at this point is that this girl is really new still so I'm hoping she just has no concept of work appropriate listening. It would be different if she was sitting at her desk listening quietly because it wouldn't interfere with me, but there are SO many people who need access to that fileroom throughout the day that I wouldn't be surprised if someone else said something first.

That being said, I don't much like to stir up trouble, but I may have to if this continues (or if I'm in a bad mood the next time I'm in there, haha)