Monday, November 23, 2009

I love men support groups...

Really, I mean clearly men need support groups specifically for being men, because men are oppressed by the social constructions of society.  I'm actually being serious, but something tells me these groups aren't discussing the negative effects of patriarchy.  My guess is they are discussing the negative effects of feminism, liberalism, and equality movements.  

An article in the Guardian this morning pointed out the rise of men's support groups on British universities' campuses.  I'm all for examining gender roles and stereotyping, but I'm afraid these groups aren't about that.  My educated guess based on those in the U.S. are these groups are trying to alienate women and minority groups, because they feel these groups somehow threaten their rights...through equality.  

Kat Wall, the Oxford University's student union vice president for women, welcomed Alex Linsley, the founder of the Man Collective--Oxford, to participate in the discussion of masculinity with the women's group.  The article doesn't say if Linsley will come to the metaphorical table be claims men are being left out of.  

This whole thing bothers me because I welcome men in my feminism, as long as they are looking for equality and betterment of peoples everywhere.  This sounds like a bunch of privileged white men who feel like their power is being usurped.  Ridiculous...

Some news on men's rights groups in the U.S.:
Jezebel featured their misguided message on the subject of domestic violence here or Salon's take here.  They focus entirely on their rights and what they want regardless of what is best for the children in divorce cases.  

No comments: