Thursday, November 1, 2012

More Republicans think it is a good idea to talk about rape

Hey all, I have to apologize for yesterday's post. I'm not sure where the video went. On it. 

That being said, all we have to do is wait a day and some Republican will say something bat shit crazy about rape, women, and abortion or any combination of the three. 

So this time, I'm going to take you to Washington state via the Huffington Post, and to the Republican congressional candidate, John Koster. On Sunday, Mr. Koster said, "the rape thing" is not a reason for a women to have an abortion.

"Rape thing"? Please tell me more. A campaign fundraiser asked whether Koster would support abortion rights in specific situations, and Koster being the gentleman and the scholar he is, said only if the woman's life was in danger. 

"Incest is so rare, I mean it's so rate. But the rape thing--you know, I know a woman who was raped and kept the child, gave it up for adoption, and she doesn't regret it," said Koster. 

You guys, I have a black friend raped friend. This is totally true. She isn't here right now, but she totally exists. 

Koster added, "On the rape thing, it's like, how does putting more violence onto a woman's body and taking the life of an innocent child that's a consequence of this crime--how does that make it better? You know what I mean?"

Please, man, tell me about putting violence onto a woman's body. As a silly woman who will only make poor decisions I'm glad the GOP has taken it onto themselves to make decisions for women. 

Suzan DelBene, Koster's Democratic opponent, is a pro-choice. Naturally, her campaign immediately criticized his comments on rape, "Dismissing it as a 'thing' is an awfully casual way for him to talk about it, and I think it highlights how little he understands the ramifications and the seriousness of the issue. So that's very problematic. And the way he approaches the issue and the policy conclusions he comes to, it just highlights the serious problem we have when politicians are trying to dictate women's health care decisions," said Viet Shelton, DelBene's spokesperson. 

Koster's campaign manager Larry Stickney said that Koster takes rape seriously and wants to crack down on sex offenders. Because you know cracking down on sex offenders is totally going to solve this problem. Let's frame the problem back in the context of men (the majority of offenders who would rape resulting in a pregnancy). Good job guys. 

I'm having some real difficulty in staying the course here. This is crazy. Just crazy. Rape isn't a thing. Rape is an act of violence and a crime. Though I can see how Koster and many other Republicans view it, as a property crime. Then the thing actually becomes women's bodies. So first the rapist can violate the victim/survivor, then the state can mandate that she carry the child, and then [fun fact] in Washington state her rapist can sue for custody and visitation rights. That's tough on sex offenders guys. Clearly, I'm just being overdramatic. Women, you know. 

No comments: