Monday, July 29, 2013

Oh Clear Channel, why do you insist on being discriminatory?



It is no secret I have no love for Clear Channel. While I do enjoy the radio occasionally, I loathe Clear Channel. It is a huge corporation that profits by driving out the little guy and promoting the same tired top forty garbage over and over again…One year that Imagination Dragons song was following me. Seriously, I’d turn on any station for like a month, and it was playing.

On top of all that Clear Channel is pretty conservative, keeping Rush on-air, but they decided to pull ads for a Kansas women’s health clinic because they deemed the radio spots violate Clear Channel’s “decency standards.”

A couple of things: women’s health isn’t indecent, and calling women sluts is kind of indecent. The South Wind Women’s Center in Wichita opened after the murder of George Tiller to provide women with continued access to comprehensive reproductive health services in Kansas.

Radio spot 1:
“At South Wind Women’s Center, our physicians are committed to providing quality reproductive healthcare in Wichita. Each physician is board-certified in family medicine or obstetrics in gynecology. Between them, they have over 50 years of experience and dedication, ensuring women are able to ensure the care they need when they need it.”

Radio spot 2:
“South Wind Women’s Center was founded to reestablish full access to reproductive healthcare. The center provides high-quality medical care and trusts women to make the best decisions for themselves and their families. South Wind Women’s Center: entrusting women with their own medical decision-making.”

Scandalous! And by that I mean what a scandal to entrust women with their own reproductive choices.

I’ve already emailed Clear Channel, stressing my disappointment and disgust. I encourage everyone else to as well. You can do it right here.

You can say something like this:
Clear Channel’s policies on indecency are inconsistent and troubling. Women’s reproductive health care is not controversial or indecent especially when compared to consistent content degrading women such as Rush Limbaugh’s program. I will no longer be accessing any media content from Clear Channel until these policies are revised, and I will encourage others to seek media elsewhere as well.

No comments: