“I totally support reproductive rights, but not
through the Planned Parenthood because they’re too bourgeois; the org I support
you’ve probably never heard of.” Made up thought process of the Sanders Camp or
actual campaign line written by one of those really
enlightened staff members *side eye*.
“I supported the Planned Parenthood before they were a
massive institution. I probably interned for them before the inauguration of
the PPFA Margaret Sanger Award.” Made up Clinton Camp line. JK she’d never
invoke Sanger with the race issues she’s been having.
Really, this
is where we are? Wonk nerd wars? The Planned Parenthood isn’t authentic enough vs. the Planned Parenthood has been a pillar of
strength and justice for women so kiss the ring?
That is mostly tongue and cheek, but Sanders calls the
Planned Parenthood establishment, and Clinton calls to arms, and I’m scratching
my head. Guys, lean in close, I have to say this as a whisper least the Marxists
come for me…sometimes there is nothing wrong with the establishment. You know how I know? The Planned Parenthood provides
comprehensive medical services to people who can’t afford them, and poor women
need medical care too. Personally, I’m glad they aren’t considered a fringe group. If they were I probably wouldn’t
have gone to them post college for birth control, and then where would we be?
Sanders is invoking this notion that to be part of the
establishment means to be looked at with suspicion and that I can get behind. Remember
from a Marxist tradition the government isn’t exactly useful or particularly trustworthy. Additionally, the Planned
Parenthood and the Human Rights Campaign have power and money, and in DC, that plays. The Planned Parenthood isn’t
just the clinic you went to in high school. It is part of a massive political
organization (coming back to this), and the Human Rights Campaign, well let’s
acknowledge they burned some bridges chasing the heteronormative institution of
marriage. The Planned Parenthood is a political institution now. I don’t know
the full history, but I can imagine this wasn’t entirely intentional. Instead,
being under fire from the right perpetually has left them seeking legislative
protection and friends. That said, we need to ask how these
large political groups who don’t have a voting membership, but appear to
represent entire populations are making their decisions. This is a discussion we should have. This is not the discussion we're having.
In response to Sanders, the HRC and PPact have issued
statements about how they actively fight the establishment. This is true in
a lot of ways. But fighting back against other wings of the establishment doesn’t
mean you’re not part of it. In fact, if
the other guys are taking you seriously, then you’re probably a powerhouse too.
I mean, fuck it. Own it. Yeah, we’re part of the establishment, but we worked really hard and long to get to this damn table,
and we don’t have the luxury or privilege turning our backs on principle. People
died to get us here to break the silence that surrounds so much oppression
(police brutality, hunger strikes, unsafe abortions, the willful ignorance of
concerns of these populations by the government, the band plays on). Where is
the press release from HRC or PPact invoking the privilege Sanders holds? He’s
a white man who has held office for almost my entire life, maybe longer. Must be easy to call
others establishment with that kind microphone in the safety of that privilege?
Did the warm embrace of the other hetero white men in the halls of Congress include a “no homo” line?
But you can’t shame Sanders without shaming Clinton too. Hell, Clinton probably sleeps
on corporate money—can’t you see her pulling up a comforter in the middle of
the night of sewn together $100 bills?
But at the end of the day, these are two savvy lifetime politicians. If you’re expecting another else, then you haven’t been paying attention. And I don’t care which professional can convince the masses they have more “anti-establishment” or “authentic” street cred. Make no mistake, intentional or otherwise that is what is happening here. Both are trying to lay claim to the feeling of ostracization people feel in regards to the establishment, politics, and politicians.
But at the end of the day, these are two savvy lifetime politicians. If you’re expecting another else, then you haven’t been paying attention. And I don’t care which professional can convince the masses they have more “anti-establishment” or “authentic” street cred. Make no mistake, intentional or otherwise that is what is happening here. Both are trying to lay claim to the feeling of ostracization people feel in regards to the establishment, politics, and politicians.
Below are two tweets that I saw about all this. The
later one I might come back to in another blog post. I have a lot of thoughts
about a reading group I attended last night. A lot of thoughts, but that second
tweet highlights some of the discussion in this reading group about the
centralization of class and “wait your turn” politics.
We
respect https://twitter.com/SenSanders">@SenSanders.
Disappointed to be called "establishment" as we fight like
hell to protect women's health. https://t.co/kiimTsVw2x">https://t.co/kiimTsVw2x—
Planned Parenthood (@PPact) https://twitter.com/PPact/status/689668293062455296">January
20, 2016
Look at that quote again. He
literally sees abortion fights as an obstacle to accomplishing what he thinks
is important.
— Jesse Berney (@jesseberney) https://twitter.com/ jesseberney/status/ 690185214237282304">January
21, 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment