Senator Webb wrote a memo in the Wall Street Journal outlining how African Americans and poor whites have both received bad deals throughout American history. I also like how Webb alleges that no one else in the United States has been discriminated against, but have benefited from programs originally aimed to assist African Americans specifically mentioning Asia, Latin America and Africa. I bring this up because we've detained the Japanese and anyone who looked Middle Eastern, who were conveniently left off Webb's list. And currently, Arizona is demanding the papers of people suspected of being illegal...which of course isn't based on race or ethnicity. I think there are 8 other states trying to pass similar laws. I love the sliding scale of oppression: who had it the worst? And Webb is arguing that white privilege is a myth.
I think everyone should get a fair shot at higher education, employment, or anything else, but Webb is just naive asking for other politicians to "Drop the Procrustean policies and allow harmony to invade the public mindset. Fairness will happen, and bitterness will fade away."
Really Webb, you'll click your heals together and utopia will descend? I recognize I have white privilege, and sometimes I get the benefits of being a woman...not when it counts like equal pay (really ask me about it sometime). Yeah, we can do better, but pretending that everyone is on equal footing when we execute African American men at a higher rate than anyone else is ridiculous. Webb doesn't mention it in this memo, but I'm guessing someone read the new study out saying that poor whites are at a disadvantage when applying to universities. I wrote about it earlier this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment