According to the UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers' Union), this was a result from the illegal intimidation by Target management that made the workers too frightened to vote in favor regardless of their feelings on unions. UFCW is calling on the National Labor Relations Board to investigate Target and maybe mandate a new election.
This was the first attempt to unionize inside Target in two decades. No Target has a union representative.
It is alleged that Target's victory came through intimidation methods such as pamphlets, video, and public states; these all pretty much reiterated the same anti-union sentiments we've heard before. The union comes in takes your money and you get nothing.
One of the women interviewed in the article on HuffPo discussed her pay being around $20,000 and that she receives food stamps, but her pay is fine. Additionally, she can look out for herself. Unions not necessary.
The organizers claim the problem stems from not being able to get their message out on store property, which of course the company can (thanks Supreme Court). The organizers rely on home visits.
Seriously, I've tried to overlook some things because Target is awesome. But between the anti-gay political donations and now the blatant union busting, I will no longer go near a Target. Essentially, Target is Wal-Mart for hipsters, and no more I say. I'll buy sweatshop made clothes somewhere else. Jesus, why did I ever shop here?
No comments:
Post a Comment