I know, I wasn't going to post today because I'm going to celebrate a holiday that justifies my obsession with rom-coms and chocolate, but then Virginia gains some traction in this embryos are people too debate.
Yesterday, the Virginia House of Delegates advanced a personhood bill that gives legal rights to a fertilized human egg, but they rejected the amendment that ensured contraception remain legal once the bill goes into effect. Yes you read that right, embryos are people, contraception may not be allowed.
Delegate Bob Marshall (R-Prince William) defined the word personhood as the moment of fertilization in the Code of Virginia. Marshall has been pushing for a bill like this for 20 years, and promises that the bill will not "directly" affect contraception or abortion. It just provides the legal framework for mothers to sue if anything happens to their unborn baby (hide under the beds doctors and healthcare providers).
I'm pretty sure when they rejected the amendment that protects contraception they were telling you what they think of it. Personhood bills are being considered in at least 12 other states as ballot measures or bills. These would lead to a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade. I think we should remember that Mississippi rejected a personhood measure because of how it complicated the legality of stem cell research, in vitro, abortion, and some birth control.
Remember the good old days when conservatives just wanted to take away abortion? Is it wrong to miss that?
I'll once again go over my argument against personhood: it only counts as a person if it isn't female, gay, or brown. Then this whole legal protects thing goes out the window. Because women, gays, and minority groups find themselves fighting for legal rights all the time. I say make these little parasites fight for themselves too.
Finally, I reserve the right to kill anything inside me without my consent. It seems fair.
Good Morning Freedom
-
Since I've been working on taking photos more than drawing, I've started a
new blog. I'll continue to update this one - about as much as I already do
- but...
16 years ago
2 comments:
If there is a positive about these attacks on contraception, this was the right's end goal all along, and now it's out in the open.
Kind of grasping at straws here...
Way to stay positive?
Post a Comment