I’m not
really sure what to say about the massacre on Friday except that no one should
be shot and killed regardless of age, gender, sex, race, class, sexuality, etc.
Yeah, the list can go on and on. A few things did strike me particularly the
discussions around mental illness and disbelieve that something like this could
happen. I don’t plan on diving into either topic at length.
We
should have accessible mental health services for everyone. The End. But
everyone with a mental illness doesn’t kill people. Actually the mentally ill
are more likely to be the victims of violent crime; we see it all the time with
the homeless.
Secondly,
the idea that something like this shouldn’t have happened here implies that
there are places where this is acceptable. I wonder where? Intimate
partnerships where one partner plays for the NFL? Poor black communities?
Pakistan? This shouldn’t happen anywhere. It shouldn’t be perpetrated by white
teenage boys (who may be mentally ill), intimate partners, gangs, or the US
military (or CIA).
This is
unacceptable behavior. Personally, I think this is the time we address the lack
of fire-arm regulations in this country. I think we should also make mental
health services available, and take a good hard look at the culture where these
acts of violence have become commonplace. That means dismantling masculinity
that promotes violence, ceasing violent foreign policy, and perhaps even
pulling back the unquestioned funding of military weaponry.
This
link takes you to information about Sandy Hook heroes, those who were
murdered protecting children.

No comments:
Post a Comment