Friday, December 14, 2012

So is Right to Work coming to Ohio?



The answer is maybe. At this point Gov. John Kasich is claiming other priorities, but we all know governors are apt to change their minds (yeah, I’m looking at you Michigan, go sit in the corner with your head hanging in shame, shame).

So the Columbus Dispatch’s Joe Hallett on Monday spoke a little to right to work with at the time impending passage in Michigan, but now we all know Michigan has fallen, and is the first traditionally blue right to work state. End scene.

But really, we know Kasich is no friend to labor, but given the ass-kicking he received in 2011, I’m not sure he’d try it again, especially given he doesn’t generally talk about that fail.

Kasich claims to have not followed what was happening in Michigan “real closely,” and Kasich didn’t include pushing right to work in Ohio when he presented his priorities to reporters, Ohio County commissioners, and engineers at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

Ohio is brushing of its shoulders right now; we’re fourth nationally and the first state in the Midwest in job-creation. And about damn time. Because of this Kasich claims he isn’t particularly interested in right to work. Instead, Kasich wants to focus on tax cuts, education reform, and infrastructure improvements, none of which is going to be good, but hopefully they won’t include any assaults on workers. Kasich said this during the meeting:

“I have an agenda that I think is going to benefit the state of Ohio. We’re doing very well vis a vis the rest of the country now and I think if we continue to pursue the agenda I have and the legislature has, I think we’ll continue to be successful.”

I won’t summarize the Michigan right to work legislation or drive back into what an underhanded shit show it is. It is anti-worker and anti-labor. The point is to enable Republicans to win elections by defunding unions. As of right now, Kasich and the Ohio General Assembly (controlled by Republicans) haven’t shown much interest in right to work, but remember the ass-kicking repeal of Senate Bill 5 or Issue 2 as it was known on the ballot.

That being said just because the legislature isn’t working on it doesn’t mean no one is. Ohioans for Workplace Freedom is trying to gain signatures of registered voters to qualify for the ballot. The group’s spokesman Chris Littleton claims they have about 360,000 of the valid signatures then need by July.

Littleton believes Ohio will be at a disadvantage because of right to work being passed in Michigan and Indiana. There is no evidence of this of course, but that’s because right to work is good for no one but owners. Little also said, “Of course we’d like to see the legislature pick this up, but since we’re seen no signals that they’re willing to do so, we felt it was important to move forward with a citizens’ initiative.”

Yeah, I just threw up a little too. Kasich is focusing on the privatization of the turnpike, which means I’ll be paying more to drive home. [Shakes fist at computer.] Kasich is looking to leverage too road funding because money is so tight in the state.

So no plans by Kasich to move on right to work, but he’ll change his mind if those funding him decide to push it or if the legislature thinks they can get away with it. However, everyone is trying to distance themselves from it because of SB5. Way to go labor, they’re still scared, but let’s not forget to vote these jerks out of office as soon as we can.

No comments: