I saw this article
on Al Jazeera America on millennials
and healthcare reform. Specifically, that without the millennials, healthcare
reform will fail, but because of the economic situation, millennials don’t want
health insurance. Jonathan Betz wrote the article entitled, “’I
don’t need health care’: Millennials threaten success of reform.” It should also be noted that so many people tried to sign up for health insurance through the exchange that it took some states' exchanges offline. Good thing the House GOP us protecting all these people...oh wait.
Betz profiles a
young woman who is disgusted by the mandate requiring everyone to purchase
healthcare. This young woman, Stacie Smeal, lives a healthy lifestyle. She
makes a valid point about the costs, “I just can’t comprehend working 35 hours
a week, where I’m bringing in, after taxes, $200, $250 a week, just so I can
have health insurance that I might use once that year. Who wants to work just
for your health insurance?”
However, if we had universal healthcare that wouldn't be an issue. Dodged a bullet there, right guys. The insurance
exchange opened Tuesday. The article states that the exchange hopes to attract
2.7 million of the 17 million uninsured 18 to 34 year old. This is the group
least likely to be insured. Without young people, the cost of Obamacare
increases.
A lot of people who
are supporters or critics of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) say the bill
unfairly targets young people. If you don’t sign up there is a fine of $95 or up to a 2.5
percent of their household income, whichever is greater.
There is debate
over the actual costs of the program. The government estimates the cost of
health insurance will be between $129 and $240 per month for young people.
Although, if they don’t have the money to buy the insurance then they probably
won’t have the funds to pay the fine. Many young people are managing the
occasional visit for less than the cost of insurance, and only worry if they
get in an accident.
So this is when I’m
going to be the nag, we should have universal healthcare. We have this shitty
option because our elected leaders are pretty fucking stupid, see the faux
crisis resulting in a governmental shutdown. However, insurance is hella important.
Come close, let me tell you a story…
I have an uncle who
served in the military, he’s your second amendment loving, kind of racist (or as I like to put it Midwest racist) uncle
we all have. While in the service he hurt his knee, both of them I think. It
healed and he went home. However, he then worked a blue collar job for the next
40 years, and his knee started giving him trouble again, obviously. His insurance refused
to pay for the knee replacement he needed because he was uninsured for a while
as a young man, during his childhood. Fortunately, the VA eventually paid for
it after fighting tooth and nail.The argument was that the injury occurred during the time he was uninsured. There is some true to that, manual labor didn't help it, but it was originally injured during the war.
See insurance
companies are the enemy. They will deny claims for any reason they can find,
which means any time you are uninsured, they will try to say long term problems
originated then. It is their job to make money off of you so they don’t want to
pay out claims. So even if it is tight, I highly recommend you pay for
insurance.
I also, have one
more thing to say about those interviewed in the article. These are obviously
people with some privileges. I don’t mean that they can’t have an opinion, but
I think it is important to note. After all growing up in poverty leave people
with health issues like asthma, diabetes, etc. Issues that require long-term
medical care if not indefinite. They also aren’t living in food deserts and
suffering from poor nutrition. One of the things that struck me in the article
was the assertion that young people were being punished for striking out on
their own, welp, yeah. That’s kind of how adulthood works for those not in the
most privileged class.
No comments:
Post a Comment