Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Happy Birthday to a rad lady and thoughts on another lady

Today is Cari’s birthday, and she’s pretty rad. I say all this knowing full well, she didn’t scream let them eat cake at her juniors when there was in fact cake present. Missed opportunities. I know, now you need proof of Cari’s awesomeness, well she started this blog. She also reads like a…fool isn’t the right word, but you know what I mean. She’s an all-around great person and friend. I miss your face darling.

Caitlyn Jenner is a brave woman, and I can’t image the strength it takes to come out like this. She didn’t have much of a choice, but to do it in the most public way possible given the stories swirling about her. She is also a conventionally beautiful woman. I didn’t give much thought to this until a conservative friend of mine noted, Jenner is prettier than she is and she’s been a woman her whole life. It was a joke and not meant to be hurtful or anything. In fact knowing this friend like I do, it was more self-deprecating than anything else. But it made me think of two things: 1. How the public is taking Caitlyn Jenner’s transition, and 2. Womanhood and the conventionally feminine.

First, you can present your gender identity however you’d like. I’m not trying to give anyone permission or restrictions here. That said, our famous Transwomen in the spotlight are overwhelmingly attractive women. Any not just attractive, but conventionally attractive. Jenner’s cover is in a vintage swimsuit and clothing, which puts me in mind of a pin-up shoot. Obviously, this isn’t an easy transition for her (her family or anyone else transitioning), but it might have gone very differently if she hadn’t embraced conventional femininity. The public is taking to it. We’ve already schooled the media on how to address Caitlyn after the Chelsea Manning debacle. Additionally, Laverne Cox is practically a household name. While, I’m still very apprehensive about how Trans and bisexual characters are portrayed on television, we’re light-years away from anyone not conforming to an assigned gender and assumed sexual identity as a villain—One day I’ll collect all my thoughts on Outlander and write about it or maybe just Jamie’s forearms.

This is one of those things I struggle with. I’m feminine identifying and wear a lot of skirts because I’m lazy and dresses are one item of clothing compared to pants and a shirt. It truly saves time. I don’t have to try and match things, which because I lack other traditionally feminine characteristics can be quite the time suck. A friend and I recently discussed how I’m into things that are really traditionally feminine like I’m learning to sew and I crochet, but I have no sense of style or taste, and I might starve to death if I couldn’t order takeout, and I’d rather lose a limb than talk about my feelings. So I struggle with the narrative that Caitlyn Jenner is beautiful as if that is all there is to being a woman. Well, passing as a woman means being pretty and/or surgery. But that isn’t all being a woman is. All the stories I keep seeing are talking about transition as if it is just surgery to look more like a woman and then wearing “women’s clothing” which by the way is very feminine clothing.

Honestly, I have no idea what makes you a woman or not. But it is more than physical presentation, and I hope someone covers that aspect of transitioning too. I also wonder if Caitlyn Jenner will undergo some of the same struggles other Transwomen and all women have? I mean Caitlyn is transitioning as a wealthy white woman. She won’t have to struggle to afford hormone treatments or worry about employment. She will also by default already hold a lot of power in social situations that many women don’t. For a lot of women gender becomes overwhelmingly clear when you’re told you can’t do something because of your gender or it prevents something. For example, I knew a girl in grade school who was told she couldn’t play football anymore at recess with the boys because she might get hurt…they were playing touch football. *side eye* The subtext, girls don’t do that. I often wonder what those aspects of transitioning feels like, the giving up of power. Or is it completely overshadowed by other issues such as acceptance and the discrimination Trans people face? And I understand if it is, but at some point, someone who was always regarded as a white man, and now identifies as a white woman must have had a situation where she thought, “WTF is this?” in regards to an everyday situation. That first cat call, that first question, shouldn’t you check with your husband, father, brother, random stranger on the street with a penis? The first time that male privilege doesn't exist. Then again, for Transwomen who don’t "pass" might always follow the stares and comments about not passing.


I wish all the best to Caitlyn and her family. I hope everyone continues to embrace individuals as they are instead of how we’d like them to be for easier classification. But I also hope for a more nuanced conversation around gender and identity that doesn’t just revolve around appearance. 

No comments: