Friday, June 26, 2015

#LoveWins

I should be clear; I’m not a huge fan of marriage equity. I’m not a huge fan of marriage. The idea that you’re legally binding yourself to another human indefinitely seems like a bad idea. Particularly for women who are more likely to die at the hands of their partners than anything else. I always have to resist the urge to discourage my friends from marriage. But you do you kids. But really, I’ve always thought of marriage rights as a way for the gay community to be hetero-normalized. Like, see they aren’t threatening they just want to get married just like us.

Now, I fully expect the economy to see a nice lift from this. But I also think this isn’t enough. I mean come on. You can get married, but still be fired for being gay. Let’s move right on over to worker protections and forcing insurance companies to cover Trans medicine. Let’s expand social supports for queer young people who are still more likely to be homeless than their straight peers. At best this is a symbolic victory at worst this is a victory for those who can afford it. Those past the hard parts.


All that said, nothing makes me angrier than people taking to the Internet to spread their hate or make this victory about them. Yeah, inequity still exists across the board, but sometimes we have to stand in solidarity with one another and celebrate any victory even when it might not be a specific victory for us. What, you mad because the Supreme Court did just let the Notorious RBG overturn all injustice? Yeah, me too, but I'm still going to celebrate those who can marry after being told they couldn't because they were less for decades. The first same sex couple married in Texas were 80 year old men who had been together for 54 years, and they are adorable. 

No comments: