Monday, May 26, 2014

So about bell, Bey, Jen, and Jill



I didn’t think I was going to write about the bell hooks critique of Beyonce. Specifically, because I didn’t completely agree with hooks. Calling Bey a terrorist is a bit much to me, but I hear hooks’ criticism. That said, the patriarchy reinforces sexism, racism, and classism. It does so by a full and complete embrace of capitalism. *drops mic*

I was willing to look the other way, kind of the way I do when everyone is all Obama does nothing wrong even when he’s using drones to kill children and deporting more people than any other president ever. I get it, sometimes we want to defend our own. I feel that way when someone I identify with when criticized. However, I take a minute and remember that we should be held accountable for our actions and if J law is going to make a rape joke then I’m not ok with it. That doesn’t mean I can’t like Jennifer Lawrence after all next to M she might be the only person in this world who appreciates French fries the way I do.

But you know what Jennifer Lawrence, Jill Abramson, and Beyonce have in common? The patriarchy and capitalism. Now, we all live in the patriarchy and thus we’re all influenced by it, and it has one hell of an influence. For example, I run, and during the summer I run about 15 to 20 to 25 miles a week. I do it because I like running, but I would be a liar if I didn’t acknowledge the pathological desire to be thin. I could write about the psychological reasons for this, but it isn’t important because even when you enjoy something you have to acknowledge the origin and influence of outside forces.

I bring up Jill Abramson because of a sentiment that kept coming up online: she isn’t one of us, and she benefits from racism which prioritizes white people over all others; she benefits from capitalism. She totally does. But she still should be paid fairly for her labor. One blogger I follow was so un-empathetic to Abramson while only weeks ago was willing to take on bell hooks over Beyonce. I don’t agree with everything hooks says, but she is an inspirational thinker who has pushed feminism forward despite some resistance.

My friend asked me last week if I thought Beyonce is a feminist. I think Beyonce thinks she is a feminist. I also think Beyonce falls short of my definition of feminism, but I don’t live up to my definition of feminism all the time. I mean, children probably made the jeans I’m wearing. I hope not, but maybe. See my feminism is political, and it is not in favor of capitalism and the inherit exploitation of vulnerable people involved in capitalism. Beyonce doesn’t have the problem with capitalism I do, in fact neither do Jennifer Lawrence or Jill Abramson. It doesn’t make them bad people (well it can), but it also means they don’t get a pass.

There are some things all feminists have to agree on: we’re all working toward equity between all genders and non-gender conforming people; equity between all races; control over your own health care (including choice); and a commitment to overturning and deconstructing the patriarchy and all the systems that hold it up including capitalism and racism. Not everyone is going to agree with this list, but I’d be skeptical of anyone who doesn’t.

Bell hooks is right that if Beyonce has complete creative control over her person and career than she has bought into the patriarchy because she is actively participating in the exploitation of herself and others. This was in response to Janet Mock saying that Beyonce isn’t being exploited by anyone because Bey is in control of herself. Then by hooks’ reasoning: Beyonce is a tool of the patriarchy. I still like “Pretty Hurts” and “Irreplaceable”.

Additionally, I think it is time we had a metaphorical come to Jesus moment: we have more of an obligation to critique those who we identify with instead of the arbitrary defense of all things we like. Beyonce doesn’t get a pass because she calls herself a feminist and happens to be one of the most powerful black women in the world, and Abramson doesn’t get a pass for being white—though who is even more interested if Abramson was fired for hiring too many women? Me. You know who also doesn’t get a pass, Michael Kimmel or my friends. But to criticize someone doesn’t mean we devalue everything about them; just in this one area they might need a little work.

No comments: