Thursday, August 28, 2014

Rape detecting nail polish because telling women it is their responsibility to prevent rape is how we roll



First, rape is most often committed by someone you know. Second, the used of substances is low when controlling for alcohol. So maybe rape detecting nail polish like the already invented straws, cups, etc. is going to be less effective at preventing rape than TELLING MEN NOT TO RAPE?!? Someone write in the comments “not all men” I dare you. See as a white person I’m constantly telling other white people to stop doing racist things, so why isn’t the responsibility of men to tell other men who are or would be rapists not to rape, and god help the person who says you don’t know who is capable of rape. You know! I knew! We choose to ignore the signs. Especially because most rapes are committed by a small portion of the population. But these people are serial predators, which is one more reason nail polish might not help so much.

Look I’m not picking on the guys who came up with this. But insisting women change their behavior, outfits, or look to prevent rape give rapists a pass. Add to this, the assumption this nail polish will be for sale. Capitalism’s solution to rape: pay for this thing that protects you from a hypothetical small number of rapes. Rape solved.

I won’t be using this nail polish. I’ve been told my whole life protecting myself from rape is my own responsibility so pass. But I have to wonder if boys get the same. Real question gents, did your mom ever sit you down and tell you not to rape? Because my dad was gentle about it, but left us with the impression you have to be in charge and responsible for you and your own safety. The man did his best with three daughters who all share the same charming attributes.

Once again, we’re making women take responsibility for rape. I saw a picture on Twitter that said, “If you’re promoting changes to women’s behavior to ‘prevent’ rape, you’re really saying, ‘make sure he rapes the other girl’” attributed to @itsmotherswork. This becomes even more difficult to digest when you consider the profitability of this nail polish. Then the other girl becomes a woman with limited means, because you know they are already disproportionately affected by rape and violence. I do get the kneejerk reaction to this nail polish, the “yeah, we’re doing something about rape,” but we’re reacting to a problem that is small in comparison to the real epidemic of rape—committed by someone you trust. I read this on Thought Catalog, and I hate them too, but just read it. It outlines how rape can happen, and how difficult every aspect can be.

No comments: