I’m just kidding.
Women are funny. Hell I’m hysterical, and might well be the funniest person you
know, well me or M…there is an ongoing disagreement there. It is hard to be
funny all the time, anyway mine is a finely honed defense mechanism from
childhood, as it turns out so is M’s…maybe a lot of people who work at quips.
This leads me to two topics: Charlie Hebdo and the Golden Globes.
First, Charlie
Hebdo, those comics are racist. And to begin, let’s back up and get the
citation right, Evelyn Beatrice Hall originally said the famous Voltaire quote
about defending to the death your right to say something I disagree with. Hall
wrote under a pen name. Amazing how every awesome thing ever said wasn’t said
by a man, huh? Moving on, those comics were racist, and it is hard for me to
generate the outrage everyone else seems to be because of free speech in
comedy. I don’t think people should be killed even for the most evil of things
they say…I don’t think anyone should be killed. But let’s not pretend Charlie
Hebdo was the great shining light for free speech and comedy…But continue dying
on this hill people, while real journalists are being murdered with little
attention being paid. At least spread the love and awareness.
Secondly, the
Golden Globe’s Cosby joke. Well, the punch line there is we all know Bill Cosby
is a rapist, and we don’t care. Well at least we didn’t care. I love Tina Fey
and Amy Poelher, but come on ladies aim higher. A better joke would have been
just to say that. I don’t mind rape jokes where the rapist is the target or
rape culture, but this joke was just kind of a “we all know what’s up” moment.
And that isn’t a joke, that’s just rape culture. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a
professional comedian but come on. That said the George Clooney joke was boss.
No comments:
Post a Comment