I had a lovely
vacation in a magical place called Cleveland, where everything is a shade of
gray, but not in the sexy way. Then I came back and had a lot to do (none of
which is done, self-high-five). Clearly, I’m living like a boss. Regardless, I
was reading about this whole Cosby and Phylicia Rashad thing. I know she is now
claiming she was misquoted, but essentially she said,
“Forget these women. What you’re seeing is the destruction of a legacy. And I think it’s orchestrated. I don’t know why or who’s doing it, but it’s the legacy. And it’s a legacy that is so important to the culture…Someone is determined to keep Bill Cosby of TV. And it’s worked. All this contracts have been cancelled.”
So here’s the thing.
No, that isn’t happening. Secondly, Rashad has a long history with the man, and
like his immediate family is defending him because who can believe someone
they know has raped more than 20 women (and counting). I honestly don’t have the
most recent count. I get it; I do. You can’t possibly imagine someone you care about
is capable of evil acts, well serial killers have moms. Just saying.
I give exactly zero
fucks about Cosby’s legacy. You don’t get a legacy. I mean what is he known for
really? Raping women, a TV show, and black respectability politics. What is the
legacy we should all be running to protect here? Yeah, maybe some perspective.
Moreover, the most
disturbing thing about Rashad’s statements isn’t about Cosby’s legacy, which
she has a vested monetary interest in being a costar, but about the women. I
can get Rashad protecting a friend and her own assets, but she has dismissed
the lived experiences of survivors. That I can’t ignore. “Forget these women.”
I just can’t even. What the hell lady? “Forget these women”? I’m pretty sure
people have. I’m pretty sure that is why it took several decades for anyone to
care. We have a lot of problems in society, but “[f]orget these women” isn’t
one of them. “Forget these women” is going to be the new “what about those poor
boys’ futures?” from CNN. Candy, you mean the rapists, right? Yes, their lives
were possible ruined (though playing football again) while the victim should
walk it off.
I put some thought
into when we “[f]orget these women” for you (and none of these are mutually
exclusive):
- Sanctity of life legislation (which was one of the first things our new Congress has taken up with Roe’s anniversary just a few weeks away)
- Welfare mothers
- Rape survivors
- Inmates
- Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence
- Workplace pay gap/discrimination/sexual harassment
- Women in poverty (more likely to be women, most likely to be women of color to get real specific)
- Transwomen (who are victims of violence and suicide)
- Etc., etc., etc.
We do a lot of
things, and forgetting the women is one of them. We have no trouble forgetting
the women. So I give you CJ Craig, yelling about the murder of women. I like
this clip because while it about a foreign county I think we should look at own
won house. This would be considered Third Wave feminism where the West wanted
to save brown women from brown men, which is very problematic. Though arguably
part of the problem in this particular episode is us selling weapons to men who
are going to use them against the women. But to watch it now, thinking about
how we let a US soldier kill a Transwoman abroad or how we allow police in
Cleveland to kill a mentally ill woman, well I’m wondering why we spent so much
time trying to save other women when we have a lot at home getting screwed too.
Happy New Year
guys, everything is exactly the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment