Friday, January 9, 2009

Book Review: Atonement by Ian McEwan

Atonement: A Novel Atonement: A Novel by Ian McEwan


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
This was a good story right through, and I had planned on giving it a 3 out 5, but then I read the last four pages...and it completely changed my mind! This novel appealed to my romantic sensibilities and then finally my cynical self. I also have a rather romanticized notion about World War II, blame it on my grandparents, and the World Wars forcing the world into the modern era.

My inner creative writer salutes McEwan's ability to tell an interesting story, and then transform that story into something much more. I have been discussing this novel with co-workers for a few days, and I have notice the reason I love it seems to be the reason they disliked it. Granted, their interpretations come from the film, and not the novel. Sometimes I prefer my literature depressing because art imitates life.

I feel for the characters...hazard of the trade becoming too involved with the characters. McEwan did his readers a service by allowing us into Briony's head lest we only have the interpretations the adults. I'm not going to lie at first I had trouble understanding her motivation, but as the novel progressed, and she developed a new sense of understanding came flooding in. Briony is by far the most complex character in the novel evolving through the conflict. In the end understand her motives and transformation, and most importantly feel her guilt.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Cari said...

See? Aren't you glad I told you to stick it through? :P