Yeah, that is loosely based on the High-Five video I posted the other day. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act will be the first piece of legislation signed into law by President Obama. This has really been some week for our team. Just to recap for any new readers, the Ledbetter lost her case in the Supreme Court last year, because she didn't file soon enough. Apparently, she was supposed to file a discrimination claim within something like six months after the original wage disparity. So she lost not because the company, GoodYear, didn't discriminate against her, but because she didn't file soon enough. It was hidden from her until she was about to retire then she was tipped off. The laws on the books now protect the companies not the workers...note this is a worker issue as much as a women's issue. The bill gives workers more time to file a discrimination charge after all most of us are instructed not to discuss out pay. But that is about to change. The bill passed at a 61 to 36 vote.
Thank you President Obama and Lilly Ledbetter.
Good Morning Freedom
-
Since I've been working on taking photos more than drawing, I've started a
new blog. I'll continue to update this one - about as much as I already do
- but...
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment