
Well, I finally finished 1984 today and I've got to say, I did not see it ending the way it did. I obviously won't spoil it in case anyone else is weird like me and hasn't read it yet, but the book was excellent.
The beginning of this book basically spells out every pop culture reference I've heard throughout my life so I thought this may just be a typical read. I thought things would progress and then fall apart with an uprising of some sort, but it was not like that at all. Big Brother and The Party are way more screwed up than I could have imagined upon first opening this book.
I was left quite satisfied with the end of this novel. It did not follow the normal course that I thought it would and at some points towards the end I was actually shocked at what was happening.
And the rating? 4.5/5 If it wasn't so slow going in the beginning, it would be a 5.
2 comments:
It is an amazing book. I'm a fan of most of his work. Have you read Down and Out in London and Paris? It takes you inside poverty and gives a perspective that many contemporary scholars would miss if nothing because we have nothing like it. Not to imply we don't have a huge problem with poverty, but the differences in the way things are handled now verses then is so vast.
No this was actually my first Orwell. Do you own that? :)
Post a Comment