Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Movie Review: Bottle Shock

Oh you all know my feelings about Alan Rickman. Bottle Shock is essentially about a wine tasting in France that pitted French wine against California wine in 1976. The California wine won for both wine and red. More interesting to me was the struggle of the main California vineyard to stay alive, the family dynamics of the main characters, and finally the use of immigrant labor.

Perhaps my favorite quote, "If I had your privilege I wouldn't squander it." This is said to Chris Pine's character by a Mexican immigrant who's son has the audacity to make his own wine.

I give it a solid 4/5. It is a feel good happy ending with an epilogue. Steven Spurrier, Rickman, organized a rematch 30 years later, where he believed the French would redeem themselves, but instead California took the prize again. There is a love story of sorts running through it, but I wasn't too concerned by it. Yeah for classic rock music.

No comments: